I love the beginning of a new year. It's a chance to renew everything and start again.
Not only diets but just anything you set your mind to. What do you want to get a fresh start with? Of course you don't have to wait for that "perfect time". You can really start something new anytime you simply decide to do it. But it's been a long standing tradition that the new year is when everyone starts fresh.
I have a list of things but I'm not a resolution person per-se'. I do a list of new things to try or to do - but I don't make it a resolution. I make a "Something New" list. Mainly because so many people fail at resolutions. To have a list that offers an opportunity to try something new so I remove that heavy feeling of having my resolution fail. If it works I keep it going and if it doesn't then I'm not pressured to keep it going. I don't get that heavy feeling from failing at something. I can discard it and (again) try something else new.
Forget the “Musts & Should's”. Don’t weight yourself down with what society tells you is what you need to have as a resolution. Consider what you actually want to create more of in your life. More happiness? This question can be simple or life changing.
If you are making a list of any kind try to include the following:
- Maybe you need to loose weight - try elimination/reduction of foods you know are bad for you. Going cold turkey works for some but deprivation can also create cravings. Do simple small acts that can be easy and don't make you feel like you are missing out on anything.
- Also think of ways to treat yourself nicely. As mom's we tend to think of ourselves last. Think of something like a treat. Maybe it's a girl's night out once a month, pedicure, manicure, massage, whatever your special thing is do it.
- Consider giving on a regular basis. Donate those toys your kids aren't using one month, some old clothes you don't use another, donate food another month, etc. make giving a year round resolution.
- Pay it forward, to your family. (Of course you can pay forward to someone else too!) I know it sounds weird. Think of the vacation you want to take this summer or even next year. Put a bit away and instead of putting the cash into something right away put a pinch of it into a savings or jar. I like to do a jar so the kids can watch the funds grow. This gets everyone excited and then everyone puts a bit in.
- Plan family time. Sure there are vacations and such but this is meant for a weekly time you deliberately take to do something for your family. I know you probably do this already but I'm talking about being MINDFUL about it. Take it all in as you do this project, or walk etc.Observe your kids, spouse and connect with them on their level. Whether your kids are 2 or 10 they want you to know what they are up to and to feel like you enjoy what they do. And your spouse will love having that connection too.
- Consider combining items on your list. For example, take your family on a walk around the neighborhood. This will help with weight, and you get to connect with your family more.
- Do what works for you. If you follow what others have on their lists or what society tells you is good for you, your list will have a touch time or even fail at your goals.
- As always take care of yourself and you will be able to better take care of those around you.